First Congregational Christian Church is committed to social action, charitable giving, and outreach to the community and the world.
The Outreach Ministry organizes activities and develops partnerships within the community for the benefit of people in need and the organizations that help them. We also apportion funds and volunteer hours to organizations working for the common good in our community. The roll of the Outreach Ministry is to “reach-out” to the greater community.
- Currently the board continues to sponsor a student at the Pan-American Institute in Tijuana, Mexico. These students are from low income families that want a chance of a better life for their children (www.paischool.org.).
- We collect money and food items for the Children’s Lunchbox which supplies nutritious meals for children in Anchorage that would go without, otherwise. The Children’s Lunchbox is distributing or partnering with other agencies to distribute pantry boxes to a drive through model in 20 locations. Each child in the family will received two supper meals and two snack meals. Each family will also provide a shelf-stable meal for a family of four; email@example.com
- The church provides a donation drop for FISH which provides food for the elderly in need.
- In August and September, we collect books for the Shungnak School in the Northwest Arctic Borough School District, north of the Arctic Circle. Neither the Village nor the school has a library. Since we started this program, reading scores have improved.
- In the fall, we collect warn socks and winter clothing for the Brother Francis Shelter.
- Twice a year, we host a brunch for the Grandfamilies Network (grandparents raising their grandchildren) and Volunteers of America. Food, crafts, and a chance for grandparent to visit are part of the celebration.
- Cancer patients and infants in the NICU receive knitted or crocheted comfort caps or scarfs at the start of the new year.
- Staffing the Hospice remembrance tree table during the holidays.