First Congregational Christian Church is committed to social action, charitable giving, and outreach to the community and the world.
The Outreach Ministry organizes activities and develops partnerships within the community for the benefit people in need and the organizations that help them. We also apportion funds and volunteer hours to organizations working for the common good in our community.
Projects and partnerships the Outreach Ministry has organized recently:
- Support of Camp Here: Occupy to Overcome Homelessness movement, a self-advocating community of people experiencing homelessness in Anchorage.
- Conducting brunches and other activities to benefit the Grandfamilies Network (grandparents raising their grandchildren)
- Making knitted caps and fleece scarves for cancer patients at Providence Cancer Center
- Organizing a potluck dinner and recipe bean bag sale to benefit Bean’s Café, Anchorage’s free café for the homeless
- Collecting socks for distribution to the homeless at the Brother Francis Shelter
- Collecting large cans of food for Kids’ Kitchen, an after school meal program for needy children in Anchorage run by Elgin Jones
- Sponsoring a student at the Pan American Institute, a school for low-income children in Tijuana, Mexico
- Participating in the Anchorage CROP Walk to raise money for the worldwide poverty-fighting work of Church World Service
- Collecting money for disaster relief after catastrophic world events
- Preparing lunches for workers at Habitat for Humanity
- Staffing the Hospice remembrance tree table during the holidays.